Our Department plans to introduce Capsule endoscopy (small bowel capsule) procedure; Single baloon enteroscopy (upper and lower) + biopsy
INDICATIONS FOR THE EXAMINATION
Main indications for capsule endoscopy are: suspected small-intestine bleeding; bleeding from an unidentified source; suspected small intestine tumor; inflammatory disorders of the small intestine including Crohn disease; patients with hereditary polyposis; suspected small-intestine pathologies following X-ray imaging; malabsorption syndrome, etc.
Main indications for enteroscopy are: suspected small-intestine bleeding; suspected small-intestine tumor; suspected changes of the small intestine revealed by an X-ray or video capsule examination; excision of small-intestine neoplasms; arrest of small-intestine bleeding; clinical syndromes that involve small-intestine polyposis (Peutz-Jeghers syndrome or familial adenomatous polyposis); ongoing monitoring of status of the small intestine in patients previously diagnosed with a disorder, therapy monitoring, etc.
THE PROCEDURE OF THE TEST
Capsule endoscopy is a non-invasive technique of jejunum and ileum diagnostics which does not require sedation. The procedure is performed on outpatients.
Single baloon enteroscopy is a small intestine pathology diagnostics method. This is performed in the inpatient facilities, based on strict indications.
CONTRAINDICATIONS TO SINGLE BALOON ENTEROSCOPY:
- General grave condition of the patient;
- goiter, changes in the cervical spine cord, strictures of the digestive tract, aortic aneurism (disorders that prevent passage of the device);
- severe strictures and tumors of the intestines revealed during preliminary X-ray examination;
- myocardial infarction.
PREPARING FOR THE TEST
- For five to seven days, the patient shall follow a low-residue diet.
- On the evening before the test, the intestines shall be purged by special pharmaceuticals (to be prescribed by the physician).
- At the day of the examination, smoking and taking medication is only allowed after the examination.